Lucid Dreaming Techniques

Since the movie Inception, lucid dreaming has become a topic of interest in the psych world. Lucid dreaming is when a sleeper takes control of their dream in REM sleep. Once the dreamer realizes they are dreaming, with practice and experience, they can mold their dreams to whatever they please. Lucid dreaming can help a person solve a problem they are currently facing in the real world. When lucid, they have the ability to test different solutions to problems in business, school, sports, etc.

Many tips to learning how to lucid dream. Learning many take months, but as long as you have a positive outlook and are mentally prepared for what may happen, this is already one step in the right direction. The first step is to increase dream recall. Researchers suggest having a dream journal by your bed side, so whenever you wake up in the night, you can write your dreams down. Awareness that you are dreaming is the most important step, and dream recall can help prep your mind. Make sure you wake up slowly and motionlessly, and allow yourself time to naturally remember your dream.  Another technique is called the alarm clock method. This is when you set your alarm for a time you know you will be dreaming, maybe two hours before you would normally wake up. As you increase your dream recall and your journal gets better, start thinking about the tendencies in your dreams, the people, the faces, the events that happen. Things that happen repeatedly will begin to be cues, or signs that you are dreaming.

Another method, which is also pricey, is purchasing a DreamLight. This a device that goes over your eyes when you sleep, like an eye patch. This device uses infrared sensors to detect when you are in REM sleep. The device then gives you light and sound cues to let you know you’re dreaming. For example, a dreamer may interpret these signals as an ambulance or camera flashing in their dreams. This device becomes a gateway between the real world and the dream world. These devices enhance dream recall and shorten the time needed to learn lucid dreaming.

3 thoughts on “Lucid Dreaming Techniques

1. I’ve seen the DreamLights before but I didn’t realize that they could actually tell when you were in REM sleep.
    Also the dream journal does actually help with dream recall.

2. This is very interesting, I wonder if the signal given by a dream light would still be present in a re-occuring dream if the dream light was absent

3. Thank you for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do some research on this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I’m very glad to see such excellent info being shared freely out there.